Nothing’s worse than posting on social media for your business, and the response being…. crickets. We’ve all been there! Avoid those dreaded “crickets” with these 100 questions to ask on social media, and get the conversation started!
Let’s be honest, some of you just want this list in a handy download to reference later! (I hear you.) Click here to get the download!
What’s the difference between posts that get a response from people and posts that don’t?
When people engage with your posts, it does 3 great things:
1. This tells the social media platform that this is GOOD STUFF. Your post then gets served to more and more people!
2. You get the opportunity to have back-and-forth interaction with your audience, building a stronger relationship with them as you go.
3. Others get to see that people ENJOY your brand and your page! (This is called “social proof”). This only helps to grow your audience and your platform.
I think we can all agree that we most definitely want engagement on our pages.
One thing that people can get stuck on is whether all social media posts need to be about their business.
The answer is…. NO, they do not! In fact, you may find that your most effective posts at generating engagement are ones that are completely unrelated to your business.
One of my favorite explanations of this is in Gary Vaynerchuk’s book, “Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook.” DEFINITELY get this book and see how it changes your Social Media Marketing!
I know that sounds bizarre, but try it out and see for yourself!
I always come back to the questions of: “Why are people on social media?” and “Why are they following a brand on social media?”
People are on social media in general to connect. They want to connect with people in their lives, people they know, and people they want to follow.
This is actually the same reason people follow brands on social media!
Sure, they are likely interested in your products. But they could have just visited your website for that.
They CHOSE to follow your brand on social media, which means they want to connect. And the best way to connect is by being personal!
Sharing behind the scenes things about you and your life will actually grow your connection with your audience. As unlikely as it seems, showing your audience your new haircut may actually help to build your brand!
This truth applies to your posts, your photos, and even your live videos.
SO… what are some ideas for getting people to respond?
For today, we are going to focus on some post ideas to generate some comments and engagement on your pages.
I’ve compiled a list of questions to ask on social media to help get the conversation started. Try some out and see what you think!
Tip: tag me in the post and I’ll join in to get it started!
100 Questions to Ask on Social Media to Get the Conversation Started
Fill in the Blank
- My all-time favorite book is __________.
- My all-time favorite movie is _________.
- If I could travel to one place, it would be ___________.
- All I want for Christmas is ______________.
- My all-time favorite Christmas movie is ______________.
- The best place to enjoy New Year’s Eve is ___________.
- If I could be anywhere right now, it would be ___________.
- My favorite beverage of choice while working is ___________.
- If someone made a movie about my life, it would be titled__________.
- My favorite way to relax after a long day is _____________.
- One food I could eat every day is _________.
Would You Rather
- Would you rather eat out or order in?
- Would you rather drive or fly?
- Would you rather be on stage or in the crowd?
- Would you rather vacation at the beach or the mountains?
- Would you rather have a maid or a chef?
- Would you rather do laundry all day or clean bathrooms all day?
- Would you rather work in an office or work from home?
- Would you rather get dressed or stay in pajamas all day?
- Would you rather have 5 close friends or 10,000 Facebook friends?
- Would you rather have free Starbucks for a year or free iTunes music for life?
- Would you rather lose all of your money and valuables or all of your photos?
- Would you rather be alone or surrounded by annoying people?
- Would you rather never use social media again or never watch another movie or TV show?
- Would you rather have an easy job working for someone else or be your own boss but work incredibly hard?
- What was the best book you ever read?
- What was the best vacation you’ve ever been on?
- When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What was your first job?
- What was your first car?
- Before kids, what did you think you would NEVER do?
- What was your favorite food as a kid?
- What do you remember about elementary school?
- Who was your most interesting teacher?
- What was cool when you were young, but isn’t cool now?
- What is one of your earliest memories?
- When you are old, what will your grandkids ask you to tell stories about?
- When did something start out badly for you, but in the end it was great?
Choosing Only One Thing
- If you could eat only 1 food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you could only listen to 1 kind of music, what would it be?
- If you only did 1 household chore for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you could only have 1 app on your phone, what would it be?
- If you could only wear 1 outfit for a month, what would it be?
- If you could interview 1 person (past or present), who would it be?
- If you could only celebrate 1 holiday every year, what would it be?
- What are you most thankful for today?
- Who do you most admire in your life?
- What is one way someone has helped you this month?
- Who made a difference in your life as a kid?
- What is one thoughtful thing someone did for you recently?
- What is the best thing that has happened so far today?
- What is one thing you have enjoyed about your job recently?
- What made you laugh or smile today?
- What is the best thing about your home?
- What has improved about your life in the last year?
- What is something you are looking forward to in the future?
- How have you made personal or professional progress lately?
- What is something you get to experience everyday that sometimes you take for granted?
This or That
- Coffee or Tea?
- Mountains or Beach?
- Early bird or Night owl?
- Jeans or Sweatpants?
- City or Country?
- Saver or Spender?
- Sweet or Salty?
- Night out or Night in?
- Book or Movie?
- Dogs or Cats?
- Drive or Fly?
- Phone call or Text?
- While walking: Podcast or Music?
- iOS or Android?
- New clothes or New phone?
- Rich friend or Loyal friend?
- Laundry or Dishes?
- Shopping online or In a store?
- Pancakes or Waffles?
- Hot coffee or Iced coffee?
- TV or Book?
- Mac or PC?
- Ninjas or Pirates?
- What’s your struggle with _________?
- What questions do you have about __________?
- If you could suggest one flavor/ product, what would it be?
- What do you think of our latest product?
- What’s the last thing you do before you go to sleep?
- What’s the first thing you do in the morning?
- What is your superpower?
- What’s your favorite TV show?
- What is your ideal vacation in one sentence?
- What do you recommend on Netflix?
- What was the last thing you were really excited about?
- What’s one thing you hope to accomplish this week?
- What’s one goal you are setting for the year?
- Do you do goal-setting? Why or why not?
- If you could run away today and do anything you liked, what would you do?
- You can only pick 2. Which ones would it be? (list 5 things)
- Where do you get your news?
- What is the most creative use of emojis that you’ve ever seen?
- Where do you get most of the decorations for your home?
- What is your cure for hiccups?
- What unique thing are you interested in?
Things to Ponder/ Trivia
- Why are the little styrofoam pieces called peanuts?
- Why does the Easter Bunny bring eggs? Rabbits don’t lay eggs.
- What type of animal is Snuffleupagus?
- What happens when you put a light saber in water?
- If nobody buys a ticket to a movie, do they still show it?
- Does the postman deliver his own mail?
- What is another word for “thesaurus”?
- Why does triangularly cut bread taste better than square bread?
- Why do people say “heads up” when you should duck?
Put some of these questions and statements into your social media schedule and see what happens!